It’s hard to focus when all I want to do is to lie down in the smooth darkness of my room. Why do I keep doing this to myself?
So much to say and yet not saying it. We worked on emotion regulation today at therapy. V was trying to make me see that emotions are there for a reason and usually it is adaptive to the environment. And that we need to have emotions. She thinks that I hide my emotions well. But understands why I do it.
There are all these myths below which I need to challenge. I told her it’ll be hard, but I’ll try.
1) There is a right way to feel in every situation
2) Letting others know that I am feeling bad is weakness
3) Negative feelings are bad and destructive
4) Being emotional means being out of control
5) Emotions can just happen for no reason
6) Some emotions are really stupid
7) All painful emotions are a result of bad attitude
8) If others don’t approve of my feelings, I obviously shouldn’t feel the way I do
9) Other people are the best judge of how I am feeling
10) Painful emotions are not really important and should be ignored