Wednesday, April 06, 2005

It was nice while it lasted

Another day. Another dollar.

A colleague resigns today. We’d all seen it coming. At least he was open about it. One organisation’s loss is another’s gain. I’m going to really miss him. We’d worked closely the past couple of years, and he was great at doing the tasks I wasn't up to. We were just a good fit, and I don’t know if anyone else could ever replace him.

My contract goes on for a few more months. And then I’ll be leaving too. Some ways it’d be a relief. But job hunting won’t be easy here. I may have to relocate again. God. Anything but that. I’ll do everything I can to stay. But ultimately, I know I have to go where the jobs are. That could well mean moving back to Wellington.

No! No way am I moving back there.
I’d rather die before I do that.

Yeah right I’ve heard that one before.

I’ve already started looking around, placed a couple of applications. No returns so far. Not so much as an interview. I’m getting despondent. But most of all, I fear being out of a job. I don’t cope well without that kind of stability - my only anchor to sanity. And having a job justifies my existence to myself.

The changes I knew were coming? They’re here now. I can’t pretend anymore.

3 comments:

borderline savvy said...

Polar Bear,
Man, can I ever relate. I'm in a similar position. I lived for quite a few years in Texas (the arm pit of the world), and swore I would never move back there. Then my then husband was transferred back from Colorado to Texas. It was living hell, so much so that I left after two years to go back to Colorado. Consider looking in the U.S. You've got good credentials.

I'm out of a job and it's not good for my psychological life. I'm going to a phlebotomy class in the interim while I finish grad school. It's scary. There's no safety net. Not that there ever really is.

But anyway, put your resume on Monster.com and see what's up. You'll probably miss beautiful New Zealand, but there are other pretty areas in the world where your skills could be used. Just a thought.

Suzanne

butterflies said...

Good luck..something good will turn up...better than the last job! Dont worry and go with the flow.
There are plenty of jobs in NZ right now with NZ enjoying its lowest unemployment in decades.

Yuki said...

Polar Bear, I am so shocked and grieved to hear about what you went through this past while. I'm so glad that you're alive and better. I'm sorry I haven't blogged for a long time. I wish I had been aware and praying for you through it. I miss you, too. Peace to you.