Tuesday, June 28, 2005

The shatterer of worlds

"If the radiance of a thousand suns Were to burst at once into the sky That would be like the splendor of the Mighty one -- I am become Death, The shatterer of Worlds." - Bhagavad Gita

The things I've hidden there - behind her own eyes. She would never know. Her inability to cry. I've stolen all the tears. Her inability to laugh. I've stolen the laughter too. Her inability to feel. Who took that away?

She walks away from me, turning ever so slightly, face averted, eyes focussed on the ground. Down the street and disappears. Swallowed up by the lunchtime crowd. Already I forget the face. Blurred into a hundred different faceless strangers now before me. I only remember the grief of parting - that final connection before it was wrenched apart. And the memories, held dusty between her fingers, now clutched against my chest.

I'll remember for you.

Yeah. Thanks.

You can have it back whenever you want.

I don't think I'll be needing it.

But. Well, just in case. You know...

Yeah.

I'll take care of it.

I'm sure you will.

No comments: