Monday, July 18, 2005

First blog birthday

Well, first things first – I missed my first blog birthday. Which occurred on July 12th. So, Happy First Birthday Blog!

It’s been a year. Hard to imagine, sometimes. Time is such a weird thing. We measure it in years, and months, and days, and hours, and minutes,… and yet, what does all that really come down to? Nothing really. Sometimes, when I think about it, it’s just all random numbers. I mean, what does it mean, for one year to pass? 365 days. What is 365 days? Why not 400 days? What is it about a certain day on a particular year that relates to that certain day on the previous year? Why are anniversaries so significant?

Of course time has to coincide with the occurrence of night and day – 12 hours and 12 hours. The changing of seasons, the rotation of the world on its axis….. 24 hours to a day. 7 days to a week. 4 weeks to a month…..

It’s hard to comprehend sometimes. Am I weird to be thinking this? Lately it seems that my mind is generating all kinds of weird thoughts and thinking. Like it’s in hyper-drive, and I can’t stop it.

Here’s another significant anniversary – I finally completed my car payments! As of last week, my car’s well, … all mine. It took me 2 years, but I made it to the other side. And it feels pretty good. For someone who could well be jobless by the beginning of next year, it’s good not to have a significant chunk deducted from my bank account each month. Now, if only petrol prices will come back down a bit....

Work’s been alright. I anticipate things slowing down within the next couple of days. Which will be good. I’ve been running on over drive and I can definitely feel the internal stress building up. I really hope it settles soon.

8 comments:

borderline savvy said...

Congratulations on paying off your car! It feels good, doesn't it.

So you're under a lot of stress at work? I thought you were just doing routine work. You really need to take good care of yourself, Polar Bear. You don't want to push yourself too hard.

Congrats on a year of blogging, too!
Big hugs,
Suzanne

V said...

Hey congratulations on your 1st blogiversary!

You're not weird in thinking these thoughts. I question these kinds of things all the time. But I drive myself insane in trying to find answers to such things.

There's this story about how we perceive time though. Maybe you've heard it.

A bunch of coal miners get trapped and there was only one man with a watch. Everyone kept asking this man with the watch what the time was (because they knew at a certain time, there would no longer be any air to breathe). So everytime the man was asked for the time, he'd lie and say that one hour had passed instead of two. When the rescue team arrived, everyone was alive except for the man with the watch. Because he actually knew the exact time.

So maybe we should all drop birthdays and the passing of years and maybe we won't grow old.. just a thought.

Yuki said...

Polar Bear,

yeah! One year of blogging! I think it's good to question why things are the way they are. Maybe you're a philosopher? You're not weird. I think thoughts like that all the time, too!

Congrats on paying off your car! Very cool! Al & I will finish our car payments this week! Yeah, we can celebrate together!

Hyper-drive, eh? It sounds like you're thinking and feeling a bit out of the ordinary for you. Maybe you and V can discuss at your next appointment together?

You take care of you!! I will remember to pray for a job for you in the new year.

butterflies said...

Happy blog birthday.
Im so happy for you.

Its wonderful to pay off a car..You are well on your way to recovery:)
Have a wonderful day sweetie.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BLOGIVERSARI!

Im glad you got you car paid off. I hated making car payments.
Now you wont have that to worry about that anymore, one less thing to be bothered with right?

Im sorry your feeling stressed, try not to drank to much caffiene. Take good care of yourself,Ill see ya.

Billy

Polar Bear said...

Suzanne
Yeah, it's been good to be busy, but there is a bit of stress - I guess most of it is generated internally. I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself to get things done well and quickly.

V
Blogiversary? Cool word. Never encountered it before.

Thanks for sharing that story about the miners. That's something to think about! I like your idea about dropping birthdays and not growing old....

Yuki
Congrats to you on completing your car payments too... it's a big burden off the sholders... we should celebrate with some champagne...

Butterflies
Thanks, mate.

Billy
Thanks, Billy. I'll try not to drink too much coffee....
(I can't help it sometimes though...)

Polar Bear

The Mass Defective said...

Have you gone back and done a year in review? See where you've been, and think of where you'd like to be headed? I try to read back thru my entries every now and then. Sometimes it's just too painful, but sometimes it helps to remember where I was to see how far I've come, even though it seems like I haven't really gotten anywhere.

Congrats on paying off your car! Least that's one less bill you have to worry about. I still have 32 payments...yikes! I've thought about paying it off sooner, but I got an interest free loan so I'm not really in any hurry. I won't save anything by paying it off sooner.

Take care of you!

Polar Bear said...

Sid
yeah, I usually like to do a year in review.... but this time I just haven't done it because this time last year when I started this blog, I was recovering from "the jump", and in the months following, I'd been painfully recording my progress. I felt I didn't need to go through all that again....

I also did a review from the actually anniversary date of "the jump", and felt that was enough...

Take care...
Polar Bear