Wednesday, December 21, 2005

One more day to go

Not counting today, it is one more working day before the Christmas-new year shut down. I’ll have 12 days off. What will I do? Absolutely nothing. I will sleep in. Watch TV. Read. Log in more mileage in my running.

12 days is a long time to be alone. I have no obligations, no responsibilities, no expectations. I could fade away within all that time, and no one would know. No one would care.

There’s this urban legend about a guy working in his little office cubicle, and he died from a heart attack, and no one found out he was dead until 5 days later, on the weekend, when the cleaning lady asked him what he was doing there on a Saturday.

I understand how that could happen. It could happen to me. Except it would happen at home, and there will be no cleaning lady on Saturday.

7 comments:

Vixen said...

Heya Polar, want some cookies posted to you?

butterflies said...

God would know and He does care.

Anonymous said...

Just in case I miss ya in the next few days.....Merry Christmas Polar Bear....And yes,there's someone who would miss you.......Angel.

Ron_F said...

hey, you're alone for Christmas? me too - fam is in Cal. Blogger party at my house in Akron!

Ron_F said...

oh, I forgot, you are in NZ, right? I though it was a long drive from california. I flew to Australia once - the longest day of my life.

disso_k said...

Mmmm ... I probably should have read this post before I commented on your more recent one. Anyway, I guess I'm much the same when left to my own devices. I sort of retreat into my own world and am more than happy not to leave the house or speak to anyone. Having said that, I'm positive that all your blog buddies would miss you terribly. If you weren't already headed over to my neck of the woods early next year to visit the polar bears, I'd say come over to Aussie Land for Chrissie. Hubby and I are on our own too, as always.

Suzanne said...

I feel quite envious of your 12 days (I'm not taking any time off)... but I agree... I could disappear, or die, or cut my bloody hand off and nobody would know. Or care. Although the dogs might get pissed off if I couldn't get their dinner sorted! ;-)