Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Sudoku and group

Mood slightly depressed after an overnight business trip down to Dunedin. No idea why. Flight down and back was uneventful, except for the guy sitting next to me on the way down there. He asked me what I was going to do in Dunedin and we starting talking. Later, he pulled out a book about building churches and I queried his interest in religion. Big mistake. He launched into a monologue about what was wrong with Catholicism and religions in general.

While in Dunedin, managed to squeeze in some “me” time and went on a chocolate factory tour. For someone who doesn’t much care for chocolates, spending $15 on the tour was a bit insane on my part.

While in Dunedin, I also discovered Sudoku. I was browsing in a bookstore and picked up a little $4.99 Sudoku book and I’ve been hooked on it ever since. Just like with packets of cigarettes, it had a similar warning on it: “Warning: Sudoku is highly addictive”. I no longer scoff at the idea of how a puzzle can possibly be addictive. I’m now an official addict.

On the flight back, I sat next to an extremely cute guy. “Cute” as in very pretty. You can rarely describe a guy as “pretty”, but let me tell you, this guy was PRETTY. Not in a gay kind of way either. As we were landing, he finally turned to me and asked me how Sudoku worked (I was working on it all throughout the flight). I briefly explained it to him, and he seemed impressed by the complexity of it. Actually, Sudoku is completely non mathematical – which is why I can do it. It’s a great pretense, really, because for people not in the “know” – it can look like you have to be pretty intelligent to do something like that when in fact it’s all just logic and a process of elimination.

I went back to group today. It was hard, considering how close I had come to quitting. As someone put it quite succinctly in group today “I always come back because something bigger than me recognises that it is good for me to be here.” One of the leaders spoke briefly to me before group started. She wanted to make sure I was ok, and asked if there was anything that could be done to make it easier for me. Actually, group wasn’t too bad today. Two people – the two people who talk most about themselves were not there today. And that made it a whole lot easier. But as I told the group leader, I just haven’t made up my mind to quit – yet.

5 comments:

Ophelia said...

You've a very intensive and interesting way to tell things. Must really thank you for these posts :-)

ECLIPSE said...

Sudoku is beyond me ... I think it's numbers ... I see numbers and my mind kind of switches off.

KristinW said...

Glad to hear that sudoku has another convert.

There's a great sudoku site here:
Fiendish Sudoku.

And if you are up for a real challenge, try one of these:
Samurai Sudoku

- KristinW

The Mass Defective said...

Hope your mood has improved. Could the depression have been brought on by being tired from the flight? Not sure how far a flight it was, but I know when I'm tired I tend to be more depressed.

I have actually never tried Sudoku. I love puzzles, but I'm afraid of getting addicted to yet another kind.

It's good that one of the group leaders checked in with you to see how you were doing. At least they're aware and are trying to see if they can do things to make it easier for you. Hope you can continute to stick with it.
Hugs,
Sid

disso_k said...

Sudoku escapes me as well. It must be that logic business. :)

It's good to hear that group was a slightly more positive experience this time. Kudos to the group leader for approaching you. Best of luck with your decision to continue with the group or not.