Friday, January 25, 2008

South Island trip Part 2

Queenstown
Skyline gondola (cable car): Reputed to be the steepest lift in the Southern Hemisphere, the gondola takes you high above Queenstown for amazing views of Coronet Peak, The Remarkables (mountain range) and across Lake Wakatipu. They filmed parts of Lord Of the Rings near and around the Remarkables.


The luge: Hurtle down a winding downhill track on a modified manual go kart. You have to go down the scenic track before you get to do the advanced track - so plan to do it at least twice.

Road to Milford: Many photo opportunities of the stunning landscape of the area. (Points of interest: Eglinton Valley, Mirror Lakes, Hollyford Valley, Falls Creek, Homer Tunnel, The Chasm)



Milford Sound cruise

- Experience Mitre Peak up close and personal
- We were lucky to run into a pod of juvenile dolphins
- NZ Fur Seals on Seal Rock

- Bowan Falls, Stirling Falls



Arrowtown
20mins drive from Queenstown, Arrowtown was a gold mining town. You can still try your luck in the rivers around the area and pan for gold. Beautiful quaint little town. It is supposedly stunning in the autumn when the trees change colours.

Franz Josef glacier


Fox Glacier

And finally...
Tip on driving in New Zealand
If you see sheep on the road, pull over and give way. Apparently they have right of way. Baaa....

8 comments:

+PHc said...

POLAR BEAR!!! I'm so happy you're back! I haven't read any of this yet, but scanned the amzingly beautiful photos really fast, and will read all of it. I hope it was wonderful and re- re- re- something - like reviving, re-inspiring, restorative. Welcome home.

Sid said...

What great pictures you took, they all look so beautiful...even the sheep! I hope you had a fun and relaxing time. Welcome back.

Suzanne said...

hello. So glad you're back safely. The trip must've been amazing AND beautiful and I LOVE the fur seals! awwwwwwww!

I am soooo jealous! ;-)

butterflies said...

Thanks for the wonderful pics! made me homesick:)
Hope you dont mind but I borrowed a couple to show my American friends.
So glad your back and from the scenery,I know you had a great time.
Love ya:)

Zathyn Priest said...

Welcome back!

One of my fondest childhood memories is of New Zealand. I went there when I was around eight or nine years old. I absolutely love NZ, one day I hope to go back there and see it with adult eyes.

Did you encounter any of the gorgeous, huge, fluffy NZ bumble bees? I loved those cute little fella's the most!

The photographs are beautiful.

MB said...

OMG Polar Bear you're back! Those pictures are amazing! New Zealand looks gorgeous!

Mamabeek said...

SPECTACULAR! Welcome home and thank you for sharing all the dazzling places you visited. Must come back and read the commentary when I have a mo.

Psychgrad said...

Your pictures are stunning! Makes me want to go to New Zealand.