Friday, September 05, 2008

Flying

Steady. The rhythm of the foot falls, pounding the sidewalk. There was a Nike ad which says that the essence of running is that brief moment when neither foot touches the ground. I like that. I like to think I am flying.

The waiting had been agonizing, but it's all settled now. I saw V this week, even though she was obviously unwell. She only had to smile at me, and I knew everything was going to be alright. We only had to share a joke, and suddenly I had the courage to face the world outside.

The pain has shifted. I went running every day this week until there were blisters on my feet, and still I kept running, kept pushing, as if physical pain is my salvation. It is my salvation.

I'm off next week to Auckland for a business trip. It'll be a nice change of pace. I'll bring my running shoes of course.

7 comments:

Rylah/Jacqui said...

Good luck with your trip, Polar. Thanks for the good lucks for my move. :) *hug*

Aqua said...

It is so great to feel than sense of security and safeness in a simple smile. I am glad you have V. Have a great trip.
..aqua

butterflies said...

Thats great:)

susan said...

Polar,

I am glad you are running. It sounds great..

Good luck at that meeting, I didn't realize you were in NZ. I have family in Wellington!
(I added you to my blogroll, btw).

Take care,

Susan

Raspberry said...

I hope you enjoy the trip

I used to so enjoy running - I wish I could enjoy it still. Will you do a couple of miles for me?

Take care

Rasp XxX

Judy B said...

Have a good trip.

mandy lifeboats appeal said...

Hope Auckland is fab for you

:>)