Tuesday, October 28, 2008

In memoriam

Are God and Nature then at strife,
That Nature lends such evil dreams?
So careful of the type she seems,
So careless of the single life;

That I, considering everywhere
Her secret meaning in her deeds,
And finding that of fifty seeds
She often brings but one to bear,

I falter where I firmly trod,
And falling with my weight of cares
Upon the great world's altar-stairs
That slope thro' darkness up to God,

I stretch lame hands of faith, and grope,
And gather dust and chaff, and call
To what I feel is Lord of all,
And faintly trust the larger hope.

(In Memoriam A.H.H. by Alfred Tennyson)

I was told she died peacefully, that she just slipped away. There were people around her when she died, though not her family. Her family are on their way here, but they'll be too late.

I can't even begin to imagine what it had been like for her, from the point of diagnosis which was only 5 weeks ago. They caught it so late there really wasn't a fighting chance.

I hope she's no longer in pain. I hope she's in a better place.

Rest in peace, E.H.

9 comments:

Raspberry said...

I'm so sorry for your loss!

Rest in peace EH xXx

Anonymous Drifter said...

Sorry for your loss.

Nathan Hawks said...

I'm sorry you're going through this.

And hello from a new blog follower.

Immi said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Polar. *offers hugs*

butterflies said...

The same thing has just happened to my friend germiane.She went to hospital for a chest infection,they found cancer all through her and she died in 3 weeks.Its so sad.She wasnt even 50 yet.
Im sorry for your loss Hon..Be honored that you knew her..and thank God you went and paid your respects to her before she died.So many ppl are afriad of death and of looking at it in the eye..
When James was dying ppl suddenly stopped coming.
If we look outside of our needs we find the joy from others.
Big huge hugs xxx

Suzanne said...

*hugs*

Aqua said...

Polar Bear ,
I am sorry to hear of your friends passing. What a beautiful post in memory of her.
...aqua

susan said...

Polar Bear,

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for posting the piece by Lord Tennyson.

Hannah said...

I am always in awe of the way Tennyson managed to encompass so much so effortlessly.
So sorry for your loss xx