Monday, December 22, 2008

Final work day

Final working day today! From tomorrow onwards, the shut down period begins. It's been a quiet day - there are some things I need to wrap up for the year and some preparation to do in anticipation of my being away for most of January next year. I'm glad I'm leaving these "work things" behind. It's been a busy month and I really do need a break.

I'll blog again before I leave for SF on Friday, but thought I'd do a year-in-review now.

It's been a quiet year, with hardly any major events. The year started well, with my trip down to the South Island. That was a really good trip and reminded me how lucky I am to be living here.

Therapy had its highs and lows. My mental health also had its highs and lows. The lowest point was perhaps in July when I was hospitalised. At least that was just once this year.

In September, I watched a colleague and friend battle cancer for 5 weeks before succumbing to it. Just last week I attended our department end-of-year function and was reminded of the previous 2 years when she had been present. There was a empty seat for her this year.

There were no overseas trips for work this year, but I did attend a couple of conferences in Auckland and Napier.

So that was 2008. As it draws to a close, I can only hope that next year will be the same uneventful year. I could do with some stability, and uneventful sounds good to me.

5 comments:

Dano MacNamarrah said...

You were remiss in your recollections of this past year.

You did not credit yourself for maintaining this blog. Many people start out with great intentions, but fail to follow through.

However hard this year has been on you, you have continued to reach out, to strive, to fight the good fight.

You have shown incredible courage, insight and compassion to so many. Heap these strong gifts upon yourself, also.

Lola Snow said...

I agree with Dano. Your blog helps others in ways known to each and every visitor uniquely. Love to you PB, it will work out if you just keep going. You are strong and capable, and 2009 is going to be a better year.

{{{Hugs}}}

Lola x

Anonymous Drifter said...

I hope 2009 proves to be an even better year for you. Enjoy your trip in January.

Wandering Coyote said...

I second what Dano has said.

It's been great reading you and getting to know you over the year.

I hope 2009 is uneventful in some ways, but eventful in the good ways life can be at times.

Have a wonderful trip to SF!

Polar Bear said...

Dano,
Thanks for reminding me that I have fought the good fight. It's always too easy to forget those things.

Lola,
Thanks - I hope 2009 will be good to you too.

AD,
You take care too.

WC,
Eventful in good things, yes. That would be nice.

Happy new year to everyone. I'll try to blog while away, but if I can't get to a computer, I will update when I get home around Jan 23rd.

Hugs to everyone
Polar B.