Monday, April 20, 2009

You can run but you can't hide

He looked familiar. I thought I almost even remember his name - Eric? As I was trying to think about where I'd met him before, he greeted me by name. Oh... hi, I smiled.

We chatted a while. The back of my mind was grinding slowly - I thought he might have been one of my students from the brief 2 years I spent teaching at a small private college in Wellington. Oh my God - if that was the case, was he one of the students who thought I was a crap teacher? Worse still, did he know why and how I left the college?

I managed to confirm that yes, he was one of my students back in Wellington. It's amazing how so many years later and in another city, in another life, I can still run into my past. I guess as people say, you can run, but you can't hide.

On other news, I dropped the Parents off at the airport early yesterday morning. Even though I was glad/relieved to see them go, it left a gaping hole in my heart. It was too hard to be alone at home, so I went to watch Slumdog Millionnaire. It's been running for a while and it was playing at the Rialto and somehow, I ended up being the only person in the entire theatre, which was quite a neat experience. It was like I was in my own private theatre. About the movie - it was good, but the book was definately way better.

It's been a pretty intense couple of weeks. But I got through it. I guess that's all that matters now.

4 comments:

Wandering Coyote said...

I'm glad you got through your parents' visit OK in the end. I was wondering how it went.

I hate it when I run into people who seem to know me but I can't place! Talk about awkward!

Stephany said...

You are doing great! life is so full of things that are hard, and you are dealing with them as they come.

Anonymous Drifter said...

It's awkward to run into people who seem to know you but you can't place them. I've had that happen to me a number of times and with each experience I stand there in dread, hoping they don't realize that I haven't a clue as to who they are.

Suzanne said...

I think you did amazingly well coping with your parents - can't believe they've come and gone! That's your "duty" done for another 15 years now! ;-)

Did you feel stronger dealing with them this time?

As for running in to an old student... I don't think he'd have thought bad of you. If he genuinely did think you were a "terrible teacher" and a "nutjob" he wouldn't have said anything. He obviously liked you enough to talk to you and if he HAD heard any rumours... then he cared enough to say hello. I'd look at that as a positive... it would've been MUCH worse if you'd recognised him and then seen him run as fast as his legs could carry him in the other direction! ;-)

I think it's worse when you see someone you know and you KNOW that they're avoiding you. :-(

You're doing well!