Monday, April 12, 2010

Country of choice

Even amidst all this pain and turmoil, amidst this full scale war of my life, tomorrow is going to be a special day for me. Because of everything that has happened recently, I don't know if the little bit of happiness and pride I have around this special occasion feels more like finally reaching the finish line in a long marathon (and the relief I feel at finally knowing that the end is in sight), or if it feels more like a triumph that will carry me through the rest of my life.

Tomorrow, I officially become a citizen of my adopted country. And in renouncing my birth country, I will have finally burned the bridge behind me. Tomorrow, after almost 10 years, living in my country of choice, I will be officially recognised as a citizen who has pledged her allegience to her adopted country.

This is a special occasion for me. It is rich with symbolism. Though it could be easy to take something like this for granted, it is probably the most significant step I have ever made in my life. I have waited a long time for this. I have worked hard to reach this point. It's been a goal I set for myself a long long time ago but one that was never realised for one reason or another.

But now, finally, I have arrived.

Tomorrow, despite all the wounds I carry on my body, and despite knowing the battle will only continue after the event, I will set the pain aside and celebrate this milestone. It does not matter whether this is the finish line, or if it is only the start of a new race. I will celebrate the victory and I will soak myself in the glory of having reached this juncture.

9 comments:

Friend of the Bear said...

Hi Polar. Congratulations! I hope you have a really special celebration tomorrow.

I wish you Joy!

Bearfriend xx

Harriet said...

What a special day tomorrow will be for you. The way you have described your journey to this point is very moving. Congratulations!

sansanity said...

Congratulations! Revel in your moment.

Stephany said...

Congratulations! well done! enjoy the moment!

Wandering Coyote said...

That is so cool, PB! Congratulations and enjoy the day!

Me said...

Congratulations Polar.. pleased for you and glad something good is happening for you. Enjoy your day

Tempy said...

WOW!!! This is so awesome for you! I will be thinking of you tomorrow and celebrating for ya!

Aqua said...

Hi Polar Bear,
I am happy to hear you have achieved this great goal. I hope the powerful symbolism of leaving an old country and embracing a new one can help you transfer these ideas towards making permanent healthy breaks with past difficult issues and embracing the future and all it's possibilties. Congratulations and best wishes.
hugs,
...aqua

butterflies said...

Hey Polar...congratulations and WELCOME!!
Im glad you are here :)