Wednesday, June 30, 2010

On illness

I don't get hung up on diagnoses. My main diagnosis - which is Borderline PD, has stayed with me through various psychiatrists, psychologists, psych nurses, etc. That's about the only thing they seem to agree on. I don't know where and when the C-PTSD thing came up, but while in hospital, the reviewing shrink mentioned it. I don't think it's an official DSM diagnosis anyway. But the concept of it, I'd say fits my experience.

But it doesn't matter. I really don't care - for me the Borderline label clarified many things to me. Why I was the way I was. How different symptoms will appear for me during periods of stress. And the prescription for it - the DBT in the last 6 years has been helpful. That's what matters.

I don't consider myself recovered. But I do have some new skills to put into practice. They don't always work, but at least they do some of the times. I think the difficulties I have will always be there. That's another thing that matters to me, that I realise cannot be simply "fixed". And it's going to be a on-going battle.

9 comments:

Chronic Impending Disaster said...

It sounds like you have a good erspective on things.

玄雨 said...

成熟,就是有能力適應生活中的模糊。.................................................................

Wandering Coyote said...

You know, I was at my case manager's office the other day, and she told me they are trying to change the name of BPD to C-PTSD...Which indicated to me that they might be the same thing. I thought of you immediately. Could it be that they are using different language for the same diagnosis for you?

Borderline Lil said...

This is interesting, the whole BPD/C-PTSD question. I love the fact that you're getting relief from your illness with DBT, like you said Polar, it's an ongoing battle but having DBT skills definitely helps. Hugs to you xx

鄭湘定 said...

人有兩眼一舌,是為了觀察倍於說話的緣故。............................................................

王名仁 said...

It takes all kinds to make a world.............................................................

林琇 said...

向著星球長驅直進的人,反比踟躕在峽路上的人,更容易達到目的。............................................................

MinBar林 said...

好看耶~一定每天有空給你支持..................................................................

玉苓玉苓 said...

脾氣與嘴巴不好,就算心地再好,也不算好人~~~..................................................